Monday, December 15, 2008

Black Paint

My oldest daughter has always had the cutest most colorful room in the house. When she was six she wanted an all pink bed room. So, we panted her room bright pink with pink trim and with the help of my friend Sabine we painted darling flowers all over her walls.

Well now she’s 8, and wants a more “grown-up” room. In fact all she wants for Christmas is a camp rock room. Well there was no way I was going to paint over the flowers! Look how cute those are. So we agreed to paint her trim black.



Honestly…. I love the black trim. I think it turned out so elegant, and she loves it too. In a few years the room will probably go to her sister, and then I will probably spend two days and ten coats of paint making the trim white again, but until then, black it is.



Well, I thought I would need several more coats of paint then I did, so I was left with about ¾ a gallon of black paint. Thinking that maybe I would use it again for trim in my room, (yes I love it that much) or maybe for furniture I proceeded to take it down into the basement to store until next use.

There were three big problems with this idea:

1—I was wearing socks
2—I was running
3—The lid on the paint can hadn’t been hammered shut yet.

Yes, I slipped. I banged my arm on the paint can, giving me a healthy bruise, and popping open the lid on the paint can.




Of course it was the black paint, not the white I had used early, or even the pink. It was black!

About half of the black paint came gushing out of the can, soaking into the carpet, and splashing on the walls. I tried to clean it up, but after soaking a dozen towels, and smearing the paint more on the wall then getting it off, I gave up.



So, now we have a few very black patches on our stairs. Thank heavens it’s the stairs going into the basement! And thank heavens we’re not planning on selling our house anytime soon. Because, for now, I think the stairs will have to remain spotted in black.

18 comments:

Sabine Berlin said...

That is the worst. Yesterday I was being so careful with my paint, I was parinoid!

Tennille said...

Aahh!! How awful! I feel for you.

Juliana said...

OY! I'm so sorry!! For what it's worth, I think the pink with black trim is TOTALLY adorable!!

Shauna said...

Oh wow! bummer deal. Super cute room though!

J Glazier said...

BUMMER!!!! Paint is the WORST!! I hate it when stuff like that happens.

Dani said...

Oh no! I would have died! Her room IS really cute though.

kingwritergirl said...

The good news is, my husband thought it was the funniest thing in the world and couldn't stop laughing. That made me and the kids laugh. Now I can look at it and smile. It really isn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be.

The Ingebretsen's... said...

Oh no Aly! I am so sorry! That's the worst.

What's Cookin?? said...

I'm so sorry about your arm and your stairs! Both look pretty bad! On the other hand, the bedroom looks super cute!

crystal said...

I am so sorry! It is good that it's the stair going to the basement! Cute room :)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

This post is so shocking to see. At first you think oh...that room is so cute and then...oh no. I am glad to hear that you guys can laugh about it. That really is so bad. If there is anything I can do, please call, except clean paint. ;)

Tricia said...

GASP!
That room is cute!
GASP!
That paint is black!

Gail said...

Wow, What a great story. Sorry for your bruise and your stairs. But the room does look great.

Holly said...

Oh.my.gosh! Atleast Jason made you feel better about the whole situation by laughing!

Beth said...

I dunno, Aly, some of those splotches look pretty artistic. I say you go for it and give the second flight of stairs the same treatment. You might start a new fashion in interior design!

shauna said...

Major bummer, Aly....On a better note, I'm going to be in Utah this coming week.... If you email me your phone number, I'll try to give you a call! :)

shaunaray@gmail.com

Kazzy said...

Ohhh that hurt to look at your basement stairs. GULP But the black trim is so daring and cool! Nice job!

Annette Lyon said...

Whoa--those stairs! I would have died. Glad your husband has such a great sense of humor.

(Fun to run into a fellow writer when randomly clicking on blogrolls!)