Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dates that Matter


May Day. Today was my parents wedding anniversary. Of course they’ve been divorced for eight years, but I still think about it every May Day. I don’t know why, perhaps because I still hold onto the idea of their marriage magically working out, or perhaps it’s a reminder of a reality so many people suffer. Whatever the reason I started thinking about other dates in my life, isn’t it interesting that every day is important to someone for some reason, so here is a list of different days throughout the year that always make me stop and reflect.

January 1st New Years Day
February 15th My half birthday and my brother’s birthday. I always thought that was so cool.
March 2nd The day my Dad died
March 30th My Dad’s birthday and the day my parents divorce was official.
May 1st My parents wedding anniversary
May 29th The day I was engaged, five years before I got engaged this was also the day that I finished my first real novel, ending at 1500 pages (I was thirteen years old)
June 6th The day I gave birth to my first child, my life changed forever.
June 30th My best friend, Sonnett’s birthday. Growing up, every June I would spend a week or two in St George and celebrate her birthday with her. Now, I ache to be in St George in June.
August 15th My birthday. I love my birthday! Perhaps I’m really selfish, but I love having a day about me
August 17th This is the day that the house I grew up in, and lived in for 20 years, burned to the ground.
August 29th The day I got married
September 11th …
November 23rd The day my mother remarried, I still have very mixed feelings about this, though I can’t be happier for my mother.
December 22nd The darkest day of the year.

I could have listed all the holidays I love, the birthdays of people I love, but I didn’t want to go on for too long, and I was worried I would get a date wrong. These are just dates that really stick with me. It’s fun to think about these kinds of things. What dates do reflect on something? Make a list. It’s always a fun reminder to think that everyday of the year is important to someone in the world.

5 comments:

sonnett said...

I always always think of you on our birthdays, and I always remember that awesome trip in August where so many things began ^_^

...Sir, this is indeed an unparalleled delight!

Dani said...

I always remember that your birthday is Aug. 15th. It's the same as my mom's and 3 days after mine! I'll take your advice and start thinking about my important dates too.

Anonymous said...

My mom and I share a birthday/half birthday too. I also have random dates that really stick out in my mind but big obvious usually sneak up on me

Sabine Berlin said...

January 13th, the day my dad passed away. It was friday the 13th actually, I'll always remember because my dad was such a joker.
October 9th was my parents anniversary. That is another bigone for me. Plus all birthday's and my anniversary.

Beth said...

My sister-in-law's birthday is May 19, I'm Sept 19, and a cousin on my mom's side is Dec. 19, all in the same year. Sept 19, 1783 - exactly 200 years before my birthday - was when they launched the first hot air balloon in France.