Sunday, May 25, 2008

The title of this post could be “A Typical Sunday”, or “Why I Currently Hate Sundays”

Here are my random venting thoughts on this “Holy” day of the week.

--The day starts out trying to gets kids clean, dressed, fed and maintain the cleanliness level of their Sunday clothes during meals as well as the keep the house clean, (without doing too much “ unrighteous cleaning”, um, yeah, right)

--After dragging kids to church, two hours are spent wandering the halls chasing my over-active one-year-old as he explores every inch of the church.

--An hour in relief Society with no kids should be bliss, but pure exhaustion hits me from the previous several hours, and it’s a struggle to maintain consciousness no matter how awesome the lesson is.

--Rush home from Church and get everyone snacks, changed, bottle-fed and put down for naps.

--Race around cleaning so that “Sunday Dinner” can be made.

--A good hour is devoted to making a healthy fantastic meal my kids can sit around the table and remember fondly for years to come.

--Dinner time approaches, and there is no fond memories to be made. Instead it’s a fiasco of trying to get everyone dished up, encouraging kids to eat the meal that I’ve spent over an hour making, and enduring their criticism of how much they “hate” what I just made. Trying to get the baby fed, and watching my plate of delicious food sit there as I work out temper tantrums, encourage vegetables to disappear, and keep my little boy from walking through my food as he climbs on the table.

--I don’t remember the last time I ate a hot meal on a Sunday

--A good hour of cleanup then follows as I scrub every pan that I dirtied in order to create my “hated” masterpiece.

--At least the kids do take their dishes to the counter.

--After cleanup it’s time to give the well-planned, adorable, home-made, Family Home Evening lesson that I’ve spent the week preparing… (uh huh, or grab a picture from the F.H.E. picture packet and quickly talk about it)

--Try to read scriptures as my hair is pulled, kids complain, and the baby tries to rip the page out of my scriptures.

--Try to talk about what we just read and realize I don’t know because of the commotion around me.

--Realizing no one cares.

--Off to the bath where I try to get everyone sweet-smelling and clean.

--Wrestling to get P.J.’s on.

--The begging, the pleading and the “gnashing of teeth” to get teeth brushed.

--Trying to tell stories, and put the kids to bed without falling asleep myself.

--Finally falling asleep only to be awoken by a crying baby just as I’m falling asleep. Of course.

And then Sunday is over. Needless to say being a mother is a lot of work, no matter what your situation. But Sundays are starting to wear me down. Thank heavens the Lord only set aside one “day of rest” a week. I couldn’t handle much more.

11 comments:

J Glazier said...

AMEN!! I've never like the hymn "Welcome Welcome Sabbath Morning now we rest from every care!" WHO WROTE THAT ??? And what were they thinking? :)

Sabine Berlin said...

See you are good, you keep up on Sunday. I just let everything go to pot and then pay for it all week long!

Sandra Tayler said...

I have many happy childhood memories of Sunday evenings spent eating TV dinners while watching Battlestar Galactica. Maybe Sunday dinner needs to take a different shape for a few years so that it works for everyone.

I've spent many a year walking the hall with a toddler. I just reminded myself that I was teaching the toddler that our family attends church no matter how cranky or wiggly we feel. Hang in there. It gets better.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I hear you, it is not a day of rest that's for sure. That is why I think Mother's Day should not be celebrated on Sunday...It should be Saturday.

The Ingebretsen's... said...

Exactly!!!! I was just saying "Why do I even bother!!!" yesterday! I spend all this time getting ready and end up sitting in the mother's room for the majority of church! Not to mention a tropical storm rips through my recently cleaned house, I guess so I'm not bored the rest of the week! Would HATE to have a minute of boredom. I especially understand the crying baby in the night... I can't remember the last time I really got any sleep at night! Yet we continue to have more kids?! WHY!

The Ingebretsen's... said...

Oh and you know who wrote "Welcome Welcome Sabath Morning now we rest from every care!" A MAN!!! I don't think Tom even dresses himself on Sundays!!!!!

Andra Ingebretsen said...

I read mostly every one of your entries, and it occurred to me I need to start commenting so you know how darn funny I think you are. Anyway, I think everyone can relate to your Sunday woes. Right now with 2 boys in primary and no baby to take care of I can tell you that that is one thing that will be really hard to give up. But look at it this way, at least you can't sub for people in church! I know you would probably take that in a heart beat but I don't remember the last time I was actually in class. Anyway, the lovely duties of being a mom.

Hassingers said...

I agree 100%!! I'm exhausted before I even sit down on the bench!!

Amy said...

You'll be blessed for trying to do everything right. And after your kids are all grown up, they will thank you for trying so hard!

Dani said...

You are so funny! I certainly agree with the Sunday woes. I do make it easier on myself by not worrying too much about a big meal every Sunday... maybe once a month I'll make it special. It's too hard, especially with our church time being later in the day!

Holly said...

Atleast your kids still nap on Sunday! We get home too late to do that! I think the hard part is finding "holy" things to do on Sunday! We're really good in the morning...then get frustrated and give in after church.
I'm like Danielle...I don't cook all that much...especially on Sunday! Too many dishes to do in so little time:) Thank goodness summer is coming (maybe?) so the bbq can be used everynight:)