Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Cheer

So I just had to write about how impressed I have been with people’s kindness as I’ve been out shopping. It is a crazy time. The stores are packed, the parking lots are worse, and it is beyond difficult to go shopping with kids. Well the other day I was at Costco, trying to load up my car with both groceries and kids and just as I was putting my last item in my car an elderly lady came up to me. She was taking her empty cart to the cart return and kindly asked if she could return mine as well, since I had my hands full.

I thought, I should be helping her, not the other way around. But very gratefully I accepted her help, just in time to watch Sarah run behind a car that was about to back up. I was terrified, but to my relief the car didn’t back up. The driver had been watching me and was waiting until all my kids were safely in the car to pull away. I thanked him and he explained that usually he was in my position and that he didn’t mind waiting, and then he wished me a Merry Christmas.

I was so impressed and surprised. I guess I shouldn’t be, it is the holiday season, but I think sometimes it’s so easy for us to get into such a rush, moving from store to store, that we forget about these small acts of kindness. Both of these strangers were so kind to me, giving me a little extra help, and setting an example to me that it’s not nearly as important to rush around getting everything “done” as it is to sit back and truly enjoy the spirit of the season. I hope I can be more kind and service orientated at this wonderful Christmas season.

4 comments:

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

That is so nice. Kindness this time of year just puts a smile on my face. Great post, thanks for sharing. :)

Holly said...

What nice individuals you've encountered! Another reason to LOVE this time of year!

Shauna said...

Yeah for Christmas Cheer. Yeah for finding you! I don't know how, but cute blog. :)

Laura Lee said...

I just want you to know Allison that you are one of the kindest people around. You put a smile on my face each time I see you or you help me out with something. Thanks for being such a good person!!!