Saturday, January 26, 2008

Miss America


OK, I have to admit, I’m a fan of Miss America. I have been ever since I’ve known about it—20 years ago or so. When I was younger my friend and I would get together and have huge Miss America parties and watch the pageant.

Well, then I got married and knew that I would never be Miss America, and had kids and forgot about it. But this year they gave Miss America a “Reality Check”, showing the contestants on a reality show for the past few weeks. I totally got sucked into it again, to the point that I rushed down from Salt Lake after a baptism, just so I could get home in time to watch it live tonight.

I’ll be honest, after watching the reality show I didn’t “love” Miss Utah. I was kind of disappointed in her and really surprised when she got called into the top 16. But after watching her, one thing I am really happy about is her modesty in dress. As we were watching the swimsuit competition my daughters asked why all of them showed their bellies, (we’re on a big modesty kick at our house right now). Then Miss Utah came out wearing a one piece. Earlier she had also worn a cap sleeve shirt when everyone else wore tank tops. I really appreciated that. The girls got excited when they heard Utah and then were very happy to see her dressing modestly. That made me “love” her a little more, and I was sad that she didn’t make it any further.

The best part about the new changes they made to the pageant this year is once contests don’t progress to the next round they get to go over to watch it while pigging out on sugar drenched carbs. That would make anyone happy to lose.

It’s also fun that I have daughters now who enjoy it almost as much as I do—thanks to all my brainwashing of course. So together we got to cuddle, drink soda and watch the pageant. And even though I’ve never competed in a pageant in my entire life, deep down, I know, if I wanted to I could have totally pulled off being Miss America

1 comment:

Sabine Berlin said...

I did end up watching it with M and C and liked everything, but the end. Wisconsin got jipped! She had one of the best talents, answered her question well, had one of the less horrid dresses (some of them were pretty bad) while the winner had the worst dress, adn she sang "Somewhere over the Rainbow" well, but not amazing. Her's was our least favorite talent. It always makes you wonder what the judges see during the initial judging that we don't get to see.