Monday, March 17, 2008

Green Day


Happy St. Patrick’s Day

I have always loved this day. One of my mother’s greatest strengths is how she went to all lengths to celebrate each holiday when I was a child. She decorated the entire house for every single holiday, (well the major ones, we didn’t really do much for arbor day, or secretaries day…)

On St Patrick’s Day I would plan to wear my greenest outfit, or I would make sure to wear green somewhere totally obscure, (like on a pair of socks, or the elastic in my hair.) Then my mother would go all out to celebrate. Each year the leprechauns would hide a pot of “gold” at our house. After school my brothers and sister and I would rush home to find the clue that the leprechauns had left for us. We would then search the house for the other clues and the pot of gold, (which was rolo’s and chocolate gold coins.) Every year my mother would work to make the clues harder and harder so one year I think the treasure hunt took us two hours to find ten clues. It was great.

Then for dinner, every year, she would make green macaroni and cheese, green milk, green finger jello, and broccoli. We could count on it. And even though I just can’t stomach green mac ‘n cheese I still make it every year on this special day for my family.

I love the memories my mother made for me and I’m working to create the same ones for my kids. So yes, today we had a treasure hunt. We ate green food. We wore green and we all had an awesome time.

I hope it was a great day for you.

5 comments:

Sabine Berlin said...

Go green Mac and Cheese. Thanks for including my kids on your leprachaun hunt. By the way did I tell you they made a leprachaun 4 (you know the scary movie?) It is called....Leprachauns in Space. They totally stole my story!!!

Hassingers said...

What a fun mom you had and what a fun mom you are. I think I need to step up my St. Patrick's Day celebrations!!

crystal said...

That's awesome! The scavenger hunt sounds fun...I don't know about the green mac and cheese and green milk! I bet the kids loved it though.

Maria said...

So fun... can I just bring my kids over next year? I'm a slacker!

Dani said...

Your kids are going to feel the same way about you someday. You are such a great mom!