Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Writing Panic!!


I have you ever done something and after thought, what did I just do? What the heck was thinking? That happened to me today.

Back in February, Sabine and I attended the LTEU writing conference at BYU and met up with Orson Scott Card. He had agreed to read some of Sabine’s writing and critic it for her. After, he and I were talking and I told him that I was preparing my manuscript to send out to a publisher and that I was struggling with my synopsis. He kindly offered to review it for me and give me some feedback, but he would also need the first three chapters as well.

So, after making sure it was polished up, I emailed it to him. Since then I have been feeling utterly stupid. For one, my book is so not the type of book that a person like Scott would ever read. Two, it’s so poorly written compared to the kinds of things Scott reads. I keep picture him reading it and trying not to laugh at how completely ridiculous and juvenile it is. I keep imagining him writing me back, trying not to laugh and wish me luck because there is nothing he can do to help me, (because it’s so bad).

It’s amazing that I can send it to the professional editors at a New York publishing house with not as much anxiety as this. I don’t know why I’m so nervous, maybe because I enjoy Scott’s writing, maybe because I admire his teaching, maybe because he has taught me so much and I’m worried I’ve done it wrong, maybe simply because he’s Orson Scott Card? I don’t know but I keep getting sick every time I think of him reading it.

Oh well, the terrible deed is done, I just hope I hear from him soon so I can stop checking my email every hour. (What if it takes a month for him to get back to me?) But I did want to give a huge shout out to everyone who has been so encouraging with me towards my writing, everyone who has read it and given such precious advice, and even those of you who have read it for fun. Thank you! Who knows, maybe this will be the start of my writing career, (or the end of it) either way it’s done now. I need to try, somehow, to forget about it. Where’s my sailor moon dvd’s?

5 comments:

Sabine Berlin said...

I only have sesaon 3! You still have the rest of them! JK
Don't worry. Your writing is not that bad, I mean really. bad books get published all the time. You know what you should do, You should write a book like Harry Potter. Then you will make it. This isn't your only option though, I mean you can always write Oprah for help, or maybe you should write newspaper articles. People alwasy read those. Or hey, we live in Utah maybe you should ask the Osmonds for help! Another possiblity is just trying to be as good as say Tom Clancy or John Grisham. Of course you may just want to try writing something people actually want to read like self help or something important like say Non-ficiton. And if worse comes to worse you can just self publish like that guy who wrote the Christmas Box.
Psych! Aly your writing is good. Scott intimidates us all, except Meg, who he just makes throw up:)! He is not going to rip it apart. ANd if he does, then you have to remember that We all went through it and think abut Mike. Even when he got Scott's approval, he still had a hard time of it. It is hard, but I know you can do it. You rock and I am so proud of you.
PS For anyone reading this and thinking I am mean, all those things said at the first were from Shannon Hale's Website under
10 Unrequested Suggestions Made to an Unpublished Novelist

Anonymous said...

Well I loved it...if that means anything :-)

Hassingers said...

I haven't read it, but I'm sure it is amazing. I am in awe that you are writing a book. Keep up the good work!

Maria said...

Hey, I am ALL for just going for it... if you want to do it, just do it, and let the chips fall where they may.
I'm one that hates having regrets of things I never tried to do... especially when I'm worried what someone else will think! It's just his opinion, and there a billions of other opinions in the world... I'm sure a few of them will like it :)

Dani said...

I love a quote that I heard Pres. Hinckley say once that paraphrased is something like "I don't take direction from my fears."

I think it's awesome that you sent it to him, and no matter what he tells you, keep on chasing your dream!