Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring has Sprung (I think)



I love spring time because of the flowers. Some of my favorite flowers grow at this time: tulips, irises, crocuses. My favorite scent in the world is blossoming lilacs in spring. Ever since I was a child I have dreamed of living in a castle with an enormous garden surrounding it. I longed for bubbling water fountains, laid stone creeks, wrought-iron benches, climbing roses, a maze made out of hedges. I would love to live in a time where hours were spent strolling through manicured gardens, gathering flowers in whicker baskets and wearing long, white, flowing dresses and large straw hats with trailing ribbons… sigh.

But I don’t live in those times (obviously, or I wouldn’t be blogging), but I still have done the best I could to capture that. When we landscaped our house I created a lot of flower beds in the front yard. I wanted flowers everywhere! The one thing I didn’t plan on was, where there are flowers there are also weeds. Yuck! I hate weeding, I hate planting, I hate all the work that comes from maintaining a garden, but I love the beauty of it. So this week I finally went out, gave my flowers some love, pulled up the weeds, put some fresh dirt down, mowed the lawn, pulled away the dead foliage and swept the path ways. Hated every second of the work, but I must admit I love my yard now. The tulips have come out, the trees look covered in popcorn, and my lilac bush is on the verge of blossoming. (I love, love, love the smell of lilacs in the spring, did I mention that already.)

So of course, I wake up this morning with a bitter cold breeze rushing through the air, and the rumors of snow over the weekend. My poor flowers. My poor lilac bush! Just when I was starting to believe in spring again, Mother Nature has to pull a cruel joke and bring winter back. Doesn’t she realize it’s almost May?? Perhaps Her and Father Time are having a disagreement, and all of the children are suffering because of it. Whatever the reason I hope to enjoy my flowers as much as I can for now, (and invite you to enjoy them too)

7 comments:

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Your tulips are gorgeous this year! I love your little bench, what a great spot for it.

Thanks for coming last night, I loved it!!

J Glazier said...

I love the smell of lilacs too, they remind me of my grandma's back yard. Your tulips are beautiful up your walkway.

Anonymous said...

I have 3 poor little daffodils that are trying so hard to hold up! Come on and give them a break :-)

Sabine Berlin said...

Your flower beds are immaculate, but then again so are you! (I am not being faceitious, well I am, but I'm not!:))

Dani said...

You have a beautiful yard! I'm anxious to have some good weather so we can all start enjoying being outside!! After reading this, I think I need to find a place for some lilacs in my yard too!

Maria said...

They're beautiful! I'm still waiting for mine to show up... I'll have to walk over and see the whole yard!

Gail said...

I love drving by and seeing your tulips, they look great. I agree that I wish we had some consistent weather so our plantes could grow.