Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Book Club

So tonight, (Wed) is book club! I love book club. It is my monthly salvation; it is what allows me to keep going each day because book club represents two things. 1) one night a month that I can have cool, adult-conversation, provided by people who love books. And 2) an excuse to read throughout the month, (because I need an excuse… actually lately I have)

I’ve decided everyone loves to read—even if you think you don’t. You just haven’t found the right book, or reading material yet. I believe our schools are to blame for making people think they don’t enjoy reading, because how can you love to read when all your given is stuff that doesn’t interest you. This happened to my husband. He thought he hated to read, and then started Master’s school and discovered he loved reading, more than me, it was just different kinds of reading. There is no question that Jason reads more than I do, and I know for a fact he has not read any kind of fiction since we’ve been married. (It’s amazing how much non-fiction there is for him)

The best part about book club has been that it has introduced me to books I would have never read, books I love. So I invite everyone who has a free evening to head over to my house at 7:00 for book club. Even if you don’t like to read, it’s still fun, (I think. I’ve never not liked to read so I’m totally guessing here. I just can’t imagine it not being fun)

And I know that my previous post probably scarred everyone away from my house for the next while, (I am removing the quarantined sign now), but I have cleaned it, and washed towels, and the bathroom and we’re all feeling more chipper now, so I hope to see you there.

Oh, in case you’re wondering the book for this month was
Odd Thomas
By Dean Koontz


And next month it is
The Secret Life of Bees
By Sue Monk Kidd

5 comments:

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I want to join you, I really do. I just need to prioritize better by reading less blogs and more books. Maybe sometime soon.

P.S. Do you really invite everyone? Even the random blurkers? ;)

kingwritergirl said...

Yes, everyone is invited. I would love to see what random blurker actully visits my site. It might make me feel cool, (or really freak me out):)

Laura Lee said...

So this sounds like a lot of fun!!! I think I will try to read this months book. Where is the next book club? Great stuff!!!!

Sabine Berlin said...

I love book club! Thanks for hosting it for me!

Amy said...

Thanks for your blog about book club. I always think of joining and never do, but I love reading. So I decided to check out next month's book from the library. It was pretty good... although there were some interesting parts... and a little language. But the plot was pretty good. Thanks! And I'm one of those random ones who checks everyone's blogs and no one really knows about it. :) Until now I guess.