Sunday, February 17, 2008

The flu in Utah

There is nothing, and I mean nothing worse than being a mother and being sick. Why? Because you still have to be a mother. It’s not like we have sick time we can use. We can’t call a substitute or a replacement. Diapers still need to be changed. Dinner still has to be made, kids still need to be entertained, (even if it is in the form of begging them to watch just one more movie because mommy is sick.) Yeah, the two hour TV limit a day—totally has gone out the window, not that I usually stick to that anyway…

The flu crept into our house when I wasn’t looking and even though they say the flu shot isn’t helping much, I disagree. My two girls have not gotten sick, and they got the shot. My baby got the shot and did get sick, but it was much more mild then I thought it would be. Those in the house that didn’t get the shot were me and Jason. Those in the house who were the sickest… me and Jason. This is the first year is several I didn’t get the flu shot, and it’s the first year I got the flu. Uck! I’m totally getting a shot next year.

Anyway if it creeps into your house here is my two cents of advice:

I believe in Umcka, Sambacal, Thieves Oil, (and other Young Living Essential oils) Cold MD, Airbourne, and gargling with salt-water. I really do think they shorten your sickness

I also believe in Tylenol, IBprophen, Nyquil and many other synthetic drugs to help ease symptoms. I slept better last night than I have in a year and a half. It’s amazing what happens when your husband is forced to get up to take care of the kids because you are too drugged to notice they’re crying.

Anyway I hope the flu passes you, and if it does hit your family I’m sorry and I pray for every mother that they won’t get sick, because there truly is nothing, NOTHING worse than being sick and being a mom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think there is a Dr. somewhere that writes a prescription for a weekend away for sick mom's? I would pay out of pocket for that :-)

Juliana said...

I totally agree with Laurie! I would pay out of pocket for that, too! Ha ha!

I'm so sorry you've been feeling miserable. I hope you all feel much better soon. Can I do anything to help you? Just give me a ring.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

No fun at all, I hope y'all feel real better soon! :)

Gail said...

I feel your pain. My house is also infected. See my blog for the full news.

I would love to have a mom's weekend or even a day off. Maybe we should all take one together? Now that would be fun.

The house does seem to fall apart when mom is sick. Dad does help but he seems to forget how to do things sometime. Hope you all feel better soon.

Heather said...

I agree what happened to vacation day too : )

Laura Lee said...

I totally agree - it is very interesting when Sean gets sick.

J Glazier said...

Having the FLU IS one of the most horrible things that could happen to a mom/wife but a husband with it may be worse ;) Get Better soon!