Monday, February 4, 2008

Trying to get in shape

This is a picture of how I feel





This is a picture of how I want to feel



I am in the worst shape of my life right now. Currently my exercise routine consists of running around after kids, cleaning the house and doing a workout video once, sometimes twice a month. I’m constantly feeling drained and mushy, so to compensate I down a couple Dr. Pepper’s, leaving me feeling even more drained—later on. So, I thought I would petition people for ideas on ways to get in shape.

I don’t enjoy running (or walking). I never have. I don’t think I get the kick of endorphins that others get, because there is never a time before, during or after running that I feel good. I do enjoy going to the gym. In fact the times in my life I’ve been able to exercise the most is when I’ve gone to the gym 3-4 times a week. I would love to do that now, but I have two problems, 1) money. I don’t have a gym membership and just don’t feel that I can justify buying on right now because of 2) time. Yes I could make the time to go if it was important enough, but my biggest problem is figuring out what to do with my children. I hate the gym daycare! Every time I’ve taken my kids there they get sick or have traumatic moments. So I need to find someone to watch my kids. I just don’t have money to pay a babysitter on a daily or weekly basis. My husband is out of the question He leaves for work at 5:00 am and sometimes doesn’t get home until 10:30 pm. When he is home he is locked away in the bedroom working on Doctoral school. I can’t get him to baby-sit for book club, girl’s night out, or enrichment. There is no way I could get his help while I go workout. So I feel I am left with two options.

1) Wait until my two oldest are both in school, bundle up my baby, put him in the stroller and go out walking. (Ick, this will really take some dedication, especially since it’s freezing outside and when the kids are both in school it is usually my baby’s nap time and I use that time to write, or read, both very sedentary activities)

Or 2) do a workout video at home… which is where I am and what I’ve been trying to do. But I only have one video and I’m not very dedicated and find myself again and again finding excuses as to why I am too busy—right now—to do it. So I keep getting mushy and tired and I feel a little stuck and really want to get my body back in shape, but I’m feeling kind of at a loss as to what to do.

So, any helpful advice would be appreciated. I would love to hear what you do to exercise, what you enjoy about it and any ideas you might have. I know I live in a neighborhood of super in shape, beautiful, and glamorous people and I really would love to know a little of your secret. Thanks!

10 comments:

Gail said...

OK, so here is what I think. Try rotating video workouts with other people, to see what you like. I have a pilates one that I like and you can borrow if you like. I cut out snacking during the day and sugar intake. That is tough for me. If you can't get to the gym, get your kids envolved with you. Have them do the tapes with you. If your watching t.v. or reading a book, lay down and do leg lifts or sit ups. Of course I'm not a size 2 but a 6 is good for me. Just keep trying and do your best. GOOD LUCK

Juliana said...

After years of having the same problem, here is what I am doing that actually works. Yes, it takes some money, but it WORKS...

A few years ago we bought an elliptical (large one-time expense) since I also HATE walking/running and had the same time constraints you do. However, it was hard to get motivated to use it and also the schedule was still tough. So then we got a DVR box for our TV and tucked it all into a room away from the rest of the house. (We have a separate TV for the kids to watch in our play room.)

Now I always enjoy and look forward to exercising because it means I can get my dose of reality TV and/or favorite movies... without ANY guilt! Woohoo! The DVR box is about $13/month but I think that's well worth the money if it helps me get healthy.

Juliana said...

Oh, and for what it's worth.. I think you look fabulous! So exercise to get energy and be healthy.. because you already look great. :)

J Glazier said...

Dance Parties with the kids are great! Boogie with the kids for a half hour and you'll break a sweat plus the kids LOVE IT. I even bought my kids a mini trampoline at Walmart for $20 and I think I use it more than they do! I also bought me a jump rope and it's really fun!

Sabine Berlin said...

I have several workout videos you can borrow. Doing stuff with the kids is a good one. C and I do Yoga together and she loves it and I think of it as quality time. On Comcast there are free programs, maybe there are some on direct TV?
Good Luck with the detox! I am in there with you baby! I have had more water today than ever. Everytime I get hungry I reach for the water bottle!
Don't worry, always remember that If there were two pigs, I would be the fatter of the two!!!!:)

Heather said...

I try to not buy any candy : ) I have no will power and will eat a whole bag of Oreos if I have them. My sister in law just said there is a beachbody work out called power X 90 that is good. You have to do it 1 hour everyday for 3 months. Who has an hour :D haha

Mariah said...

My advice: just do it! We can all come up with every excuse in the book, but I firmly believe that we all find the time (and money I might add) to do the things that are important to us. For me getting in the routine is the hardest part, but once I'm on a roll it feels so great and I don't want to stop. I notice a HUGE difference in many aspects of my life when I am exercising regularly. Find what works for you and then stick with it. Good luck!

crystal said...

I also have a couple of pilates videos I like...they are for working particular areas of the body...they aren't aerobics....and they are only 20 minutes long. I know you need both kinds of exercise...so occasionally I will do the elliptical in front of the TV (with a good chick flick on) but I really like that the pilates are only 20 minutes!

kingwritergirl said...

Thanks for all the great advice! So we put in highschool musical, we have the one that they teach you all the dances and my girls and I tried to learn the dances and dance to the movie. Oh man I'm out of shape! It was fun though. Thanks for all the response it's really given me some good ideas.

Laura Lee said...

You are so funny and just about the most honest person I know. I had a great laugh over your pictures. I feel exactly as you described too.