Wednesday, July 30, 2008

30 favorite movies

You are enjoying Alyson King’s ultimate, 30 days of 30 lists with 30 facts about her…

Age 14

For this list I basically tried to pick movies that, if stuck on a desert island the rest of my life and I could only have 30 movies to watch again and again, which would they be. What are your favorite movies?

1. 13 going on 30 (Had to put this in, simply because I feel like I’m still 13 and I’m going to be 30!)

2. Legend This is one of those defining movies for me. I think I've watched it at least 20 times.

3. Labyrinth Mmmm, David Bowie as King Jareth sooooo HOT!

4. The Last Unicorn (Funny, this title is on my favorite song, book, and move list)

5. Grave of the Fireflies One of the most amazing movies about World War Two. Totally heart wrenching.

6. Robin Hood Prince of Thieves I haven't watched this movie for years, maybe because I will realize how terrible it is, and I like my happy memories I have with it. This was another defining movie for me.

7. The Little Mermaid I was 11 when this cartoon came out, and I was in love. The summer it was released on video, I watched it every single day!

8. Titanic I saw this more times in the theater than any other movie, and bawled every time.

9. Memoirs of a Geisha Of course the book is better, but I still loved this movie and how they captured the world of the Geisha

10. August Rush I just saw this movie for the first time and loved it so much.

11. Spirited Away Have I mentioned how much I love Hayao Miyazaki

12. Whispers of the Heart This is about a young girl who dreams of becoming a writer. How could I not love it? But what I love most, is the story told of her trying to look inside herself and finding a jewel, and how frightened she is to look, because she is so scared that all she'll find is a rock. Don't we all feel that way sometimes.

13. Twilight (ok, yes, it hasn’t come out yet, but I’m sure it will be a favorite)

14. Becoming Jane So deliciously romantic!

15. Lord of the Rings Besides being an awesome version of this great story, I wanted to include this movie, because of how long it takes to watch all three movies. If I was stuck on a desert island, this would be a great one to watch, because you would only have to repeat it every 14 hours.

16. Anna and the King Totally fell in love with Chow Yun-Fat in this!

17. Pride and Prejudice Love this and the BBC version. Every woman should love this story.

18. The Phantom of the Opera How could I not include this? I'm not really in love with Gerald Butler, however if you watch it with the French dubbing it makes it much more enjoyable!

19. Unico and the Island of Magic This is a fantastic movie I grew up on about a baby unicorn that brings happiness to everyone he meets.

20. Howl’s Moving Castle I am a huge fan of watching movies in their original language, but I make an exception with this one, Christian Bale as Howl makes me melt every time!

21. The Never Ending Story Such a classic movie. Why did they ruin it by making a sequel?

22. The Hobbit I loved this movie as a child and I'm so excited to see what they do with the new movie coming out.

23. Stardust Besides being packed full of hotties and being an awesome story, this movie is a must simply because of Captain Shakespeare.

24. Amadeus A fantastic telling of the life of Mozart!

25. The Haunting (1963 version)They just don't make scary movies like they used to. I love this movie. I use to watch black and white ghost movies with my father all the time, and this was, by far, the best. You never see a "ghost" through the whole thing, but all your other senses are used--the feeling of being watched, smells, sounds, all of that. No blood and gore, no psycho characters, just really cool camera angels, eerie sounds and a great plot.

26. Sunset Boulevard Another absolute classic. I discovered this movie on accident. When Andrew Lloyd Webber announced he was making a musical based off this movie Sonnett and I ran out and watched it. I fell in love with the movie and think it's so well done and such a great portrayal of Hollywood at that time, (and even now). The musical? Well, it's ok, don't love it, don't hate it, it's simple O.K.

27. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon This movie has it all! Kick-butt fight scenes, intense romances, and stunning cinematography, not to mention an awesome story. What more do you need?

28. Chocolat I love watching this on Valentine's Day. Don't ever watch it when trying to diet!

29. Fairytale: A True Story This is based on the story of the Cottington Fairies. During World War I, two young girls snap picture of fairies in their garden. Although the pictures prove to be fake, the girls claimed all their life that they did see and play with fairies, but were never able to capture them on the photographs.

30. Watcher in the Woods Who doesn't LOVE this Disney ghost story? This is another classic I love to watch each Halloween!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Johnny Depp is what makes Chocolat so yummy :-)

sonnett said...

I love that you included "The Haunting" that is one of my favorite ghost movies as well ^_^

Sabine Berlin said...

Great List, I think I could be handled being stuck on an iland with you, thouh I'd have to include The Prestige just to get a little face time with Hugh and Christian!