Tuesday, August 12, 2008

30 things about me as an adult

Just a few more days of being bombarded with useless facts about me. Almost done! Hang in there.

27 years old. My husband and me.

This was a hard list for me to write, because how do you write how you are as an adult, when you’re still trying to figure out how to be an adult. Also I felt like a lot of things were repeats, or things I was going to put in a coming up post of, “30 random things about me”. But I finally was able to put together a list.

1. I had three jobs before I became a stay at home mom. I worked the concessions stands in a movie theater, I was a waitress at Marie Calendars, and I worked at Convergys.

2. I’ve been a mother longer than I was a teenager.

3. On multiple occasions my husband and I have BBQ hamburgers at 1:00 in the morning.

4. I am awesome at playing Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time for the N64. (Because, until recently, I had very few other games and no other game console.)

5. I own way too many DVD’s. I regret I’ve spent so much money on movies.

6. I own way too many books, but I don’t regret spending money on any of them.

7. In church callings I’ve served in the nursery, in the primary, in the YW, in relief society, and on the activities committee. There’s really nothing left for me to do, so I think I’m OK if I never get called to do anything else. :)

8. I DO NOT scrap book.

9. Or make homemade, cute cards. I admire people that can do this, but it is one talent I do not have, and I’m ok with that.

10. I do not enjoy being pregnant

11. I am not a very fun person to be around when I am pregnant.

12. But I would do it over again, even twice as long if I had to, for each one of my babies!

13. Growing up I never had anyone close to me die. In five years, four people in my family passed away. (My cousin, my father, my grandmother and my uncle)

14. I was the first person in my family to get married, even though I am the middle child.

15. I’ve started reading a much wider variety of books than I used to, and I like it.

16. I used to be immune to motion sickness. I could do any ride at Lagoon without batting an eye. Now just the thought of some of those swivel rides make me nauseous. (I blame it on the pregnancies.)

17. As an adult I’ve come to realize that I still love to play with Barbie dolls, and I’m glad that I have a daughter that reintroduced that to me.

18. I buy my kids waaaaaay too many toys!

19. I can’t remember numbers for the life of me. It took me two years to memorize my zip code. (Never ask me how much something costs, I will say the first number that comes to my head and it is probably wrong.)

20. As an adult I’ve learned that I am not a good housekeeper. At all!

21. I’ve also learned that I am a very poor gardener.

22. I used to think I was a very patient, kind and loving individual. Than I had kids and realized I had no understanding of the word “patience”.

23. I often wonder how differently we would treat each other if we could see people’s divine nature, see all their potential, their goodness, and their accomplishments. If we could see them how God does, then how would we treat them?

24. I’ve realized that a happy marriage takes a lot of work. If it was easy than everyone would have it. And all the hard work makes it worth it.

25. I am a very task oriented person. (This is a fancy way of saying that I can’t do more than one thing at a time.)

26. I experience my emotions deeply. But as an adult I’m getting better at understanding them.

27. The older I get the less afraid I am of getting old.

28. I’ve learned for myself the truth to the fact that chocolate really does make everything better. At least for a little bit.

29. I think it’s an amazing thing that right after having a baby, we woman can sit there, without having taken a shower for days, leaking milk, hurting in places we never knew we could hurt, and unable to think straight from lack of sleep, and have our husbands come in, clean, showered, full of energy, holding their new infant, and look at us with more love and admiration than they’ve ever had before because of what we’ve accomplished and given them. (OK, I need someone to diagram that sentence. Wow, that was a paragraph in itself!)

30. As an adult I realize that I still feel the same age as I did as a child. I feel like I know more, I understand more, I’m taller and certainly wider, but the core of who I am has stayed the same.

5 comments:

J Glazier said...

I'm with you on #22!! Love all your lists.

Tricia said...

23 made me cry... at work. The reason is because I've often wondered the same thing and wished that I had that gift. I believe that although no one can see someone as God does, that some people have a gift pretty close to that... and I'm very grateful for the people who have seen that in me. *Ü*

Sabine Berlin said...

I love your lists. Last night was so fun, lets do it again. Love the kids, but love mommy time as well, mostly with a great friend.

Beth said...

I see we have the same feelings towards scrapbooking.

Knitting power!!!!!!!

Dani said...

I loved this list. I love how we are always learning about ourselves, no matter how old we get! I laughed at the numbers one. I can never remember how much things cost either!