Saturday, August 23, 2008

A quick thought on Breaking Dawn and Stephenie Meyer

Stephenie Meyer and me. I'm nine months pregnant--so not an attractive pictures. (Of me. Stephenie is gorgeous)

I just wanted to say that it makes me sad how much negativity there has been on Breaking Dawn. I don’t mind people not liking a book, that’s fine, it happens all the time. Everyone should have their own opinions, but there have been petitions of people wanting to take the book back to the store and demand refunds because it wasn’t the book they wanted: people writing terrible things to Stephenie Meyer telling her how the book should have been written. I’m shocked.

Do they not understand how Stephenie Meyer has put her life on hold so she could write us this book, don’t they know she fought to give us a fourth book in the series. Whether or not we like it does not matter, it is a rare gift, given to us by an author who wanted to giveback to her fans. How selfish is it of people to be given a gift and then return it to the giver saying, it’s not good enough, it’s not what I wanted, give me something else. She must be exhausted, and rightfully so. Personally, I loved Breaking Dawn, I felt it was the best of the four books, and I enjoyed it like a delicious slice of chocolate cake. Some people don’t like chocolate cake, and that’s fine. But the least you can do is be grateful for what you have.

OK, I’m done with my soap box now. Thank you for listening, and please feel free to open up and share your thoughts on this.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I got my money back for all of the books I didn't like then I would be a rich girl :-)
This was my least favorite of the series but there are some people that need to get a life outside of a fictional relationship. There are some crazies out there :-)

Dani said...

I can't believe how weird people have been about the book either. I'm with you, it's fine if they don't like it... but leave Stephenie alone about it!

Sabine Berlin said...

I have to say that I think anyone who buys a book, reads the whole thing, and then returns it for any reason is pretty dishonest.

The Ingebretsen's... said...

People are really doing that?! It's HER Book! What did they want changed? Weirdos!

Beth said...

Well, that's just mean. Stephanie Meyer owes the world NOTHING. I think this is going back to the idea that we live in a country full of spoiled brats. Every time something happens that they don't like, they have a temper tantrum.

I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. It was stylistically different from the other three books, and I thought Eclipse was building up to a completely different story than the one we got. So yes, I was disappointed. But I'm not going to throw a tantrum over it.

Gail said...

I have to say it wasn't my favorite.It was too long and the ending was blah to me. But some people take this book way too serious. It is all make believe and they need to see that. I just hope people don't take on the role of Kathy Bates from Misery and torture the writer to write a new book.

Chefwife said...

This was my favorite of all her books. I don't know what people are thinking.