Thursday, August 21, 2008

Childless, just for a day…please!

I do not mean to discredit all the woman out there who are desperately trying to have children, or long to hold a baby in their arms, or swear they would put up with any trauma just to have a family. I respect that. I do. There was once a time I felt the same way.

But I wish, that for just one day, I could have no children. I want to clean my house and have it stay clean, or fold laundry and have it stay folded, instead of having it be pulled around the house by a crazy one-year-old with sticky fingers. I want to go to the store without dreading the temper tantrums that might follow. I want to buy something and not worry about how long it will be until it gets broken. I want to go to sleep at night and not be woken up because someone needs me to take care of them. I’m tired of having my hair pulled, my makeup stolen, and my books ripped apart. And I’m really tired of changing poopy diapers.

I wouldn’t change my life, not for anything. I love my children, and at the end of the day when all of them are sleeping I can look at them and think there is nothing, NOTHING, that brings me more joy.

But is one day so much to ask? I just want 24 hours of no one else to take care of but myself. I would love to say, I’m going to take a nap, or I’m going to watch a movie, or I’m going to read a book, or I’m going to run errands, or I’m going to write, and do it without any extra drama, without juggling any other obligations. Just once. That’s all I need, just a 24 hour break and then I’ll be ok for a little bit.

But I’m a mom, and mom’s never get breaks, especially not for 24 hours. There’s no sick time, no vacation time, no paid time off. There’s not even unpaid time off. I know that, I accept that, but it doesn’t mean I can’t dream of it. Things such as a clean house, or accomplishing tasks quickly and flawlessly, or sleeping are just not in my job description. Sigh. At least I have three of the most beautiful and adorable children in the world, and I get the greatest title, and the most well-earned title anyone has ever had: Mom.

5 comments:

Juliana said...

Who says Moms can't have a day off??? I took off for California not once, but TWICE, this year for some much-needed unpaid-time-off. And you know what? I don't feel guilty at all and I'm SO grateful to all the people who helped make it possible. You up for Shakespeare Festival this autumn? All you have to do is say the word and I'll pay the cost of the hotel and be happy to drive. Come on! Why not? The kids can live with a babysitter for 48 hours. :) Yes, you heard me right. 24 hours isn't enough. You need two days off!!

Beth said...

We can trade for a day. Maybe not a full 24 hours, but how about like, 12?

I'm serious. I'll go over to your house and play with your kids and you can come to my house (or wherever) and just chill.

I'm totally not joking.

kingwritergirl said...

I just have to say you guys are just awesome!

What's Cookin?? said...

Joe didn't understand last year when I told him all I wanted for my bday was to check myself into a hotel for a whole day by myself. Doesn't that sound heavenly! like if it was a super nice one that put chocolates on your pillow and made the bed in the morning and had the super thick curtains that let you sleep in! It's a nice thought :)!

Dani said...

You are so funny! I've never had 24 hrs. off, and with Kirk's travel schedule, I often don't get a break in the evenings either. But it is nice to once in a while just go to a late movie with the girls. Even a couple of hours can make me feel re-energized. We should plan one!